Thursday, October 23, 2008

A First Step

I’m sitting at the kitchen table with a glass of wine, scribbling in a notebook, and deciding what name to give my new blog.

The Thymes? The Garlic Press? No, no. This is strange; I’m having wine and cheese, apparently.

By the time I post this, I will have decided on a name for my blog. I’m just being very meticulous, I guess. I want this blog to be about food, yes, but about food in every way. There will be recipes, of course, but that won’t be all.

I want to write about food as life.

Food as life, because it can tell you about everything. Food is politics. Food is social. It is art, culture, and subsistence. It is agriculture and economy. The most important thing is, food is on all of our tables. When it’s not, we are certainly scratching our heads, thinking about how to get it on there.

So, food is everything, and I’m awfully excited about that. But there will be recipes, too...I promise.

I still haven’t thought of a name for my blog, though. That’s ok, I’ve made the first step.

This Week

Check out this link to Michael Pollen’s article in the New York Times Magazine. It’s an open letter to the next American President on food and agriculture policy.

No comments: